Although not so common, there have generally been just a few users who obtained “Windows failed to find boot.wim.” error message.
This bug normally seems whenever you improve from one model of Windows to a different, so right this moment we’ll attempt to fix it.
How can I fix that Windows could not find the boot.wim error?
- Temporarily disable antivirus
- Create a bootable medium
- Make adjustments to the registry
Disable momentary antivirus
If you might have an antivirus program operating in your PC, it might be the trigger “Windows failed to find boot.wim.” error.
So the perfect answer right here can be to disable virus safety whereas downloading and putting in the specified software.
To disable virus safety, begin the antivirus program and comply with the directions instantly, in any other case you possibly can do the identical from Windows Security Center.
Remember to revive safety after the set up is full to stop malware infections later.
If the antivirus software precipitated this challenge, you might be able to resolve the difficulty by switching to a different antivirus answer.
Bitdefender gives dependable safety, and it’ll not intrude along with your system in any method, so be happy to present it a attempt.
- Get Bitdefender Antivirus
2. Create a bootable medium
If you get “Windows failed to find boot.wim.” error When upgrading to a brand new model of Windows, you might be able to resolve the difficulty by utilizing a Windows 10 medium to put in Windows 10 in your system.
To do so, you might want to obtain Media Creation Tool and create a bootable medium. The course of will range relying on the set up media (USB flash drive or DVD) you wish to create.
Follow the directions on the screen to finish the method. Once you might have created bootable media, you need to use it to put in the most recent model of Windows 10.
3. Make adjustments to the registry
Another solution to fix “Windows failed to find boot.wim.” error is altering your registry. To do so, comply with these steps:
- Press Windows + R. on the keyboard.
- Type regedit and press enter. This will begin Registry Editor.
- Alternatively, you may also write regedit on Cortana search box. Right click on on the search end result that seems, and choose Run as administrator.
- IN Registry Editor wind, find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE
Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion
WindowsReplace OSUpgrade on the choices on the left.
- Make a brand new one DWORD (32-bit) worth with Name = AllowOSUpgrade, and set Value = 0x00000001. You can create a brand new DWORD worth by right-clicking on the clean part on the suitable and hovering over New. Select DWORD (32-bit) worth
- Start Control panel once more and navigate to Windows replace.
- You should see a button Starter. Click on it to begin Windows 10 the set up course of. Follow the directions on the screen that seem.
In case the folder or key, OSUpgrade is not there in step 4, you might want to create it. Here are the steps.
- Right click on on the empty half to the suitable. There’s only one option you will note – New. Hover over it and click on on the submenu that seems Key. A brand new folder seems below Windows replace. Name it OSUpgrade and press enter.
- Double click on on the newly created key OSUpgrade to open it.
- Check for worth AllowOSUpgrade is current, and ensure the worth knowledge is about to 0x00000001. If so, that is advantageous. If not, there’s something extra you might want to do.
- If the worth AllowOSUpgrade not current, Right click on once more as earlier than and choose DWORD (32-bit) Value and it’s referred to as AllowOSUpgrade.
- With the worth created, Double click on on it to place it on 0x00000001. Do the identical if the worth is about to one thing else.
- Restart the PC for the brand new adjustments to take impact.
A phrase of warning. It is all the time really helpful to again up the registry earlier than making any adjustments to it. Here’s how you can do it.
- click on on File within the menu bar on the high and choose Export.
- IN Export registry file window that opens, enter the situation the place you wish to save the settings Save box. Also give it a reputation and click on Save.
If you uncover one thing fallacious along with your PC instantly after you might have tinkered with the registry, merely navigate to the backed up file and double-click it. Follow the directions on the screen and restart the PC when prompted. You should be again to the place you began from.
There are some options that may provide help to fix it “Windows failed to find boot.wim.” fallacious, so you should definitely attempt all of them.