Choosing a profession in World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Classic can be a little daunting. There are so many options to choose from, and it’s not entirely clear which would be best for your character. As you explore Azeroth and Outland, this guide will guide you in the right direction for which professions are best for you.
What professions can you choose from?
There are a total of 10 professions to choose from in the game World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Classic. This particular expansion added jewelry to the list, allowing players to create gems, trinkets and other useful items.
Here is a list of primary occupations and a brief summary of what you can achieve with the skills you learned in the gradual promotion to 375.
- Jewelcrafting – Allows you to make statues, fist weapons, jewelry (necklaces, rings and crowns), trinkets and gems. It also provides a search that gives you the ability to decompose ore into gems.
- Alchemy – Allows you to create consumer supplements such as potions and elixirs.
- Blacksmithing – Allows you to create metal weapons, mail armor and shield armor. It also gives you the ability to add drawers to one-handed weapons, junk and gloves.
- Charming – Gives you the ability to continuously improve the gear. You can also cast items that produce dust that you can use for Enchants.
- Engineering – Used to make useful or unique gadgets such as weapons, explosives and even holders.
- Herbalism – Allows you to collect herbs used to make consumables through alchemy.
- Leather processing – Used to make equipment for leather and mail users.
- Mining – Allows mining of ore used in blacksmithing, engineering and jewelry.
- Downloading – Allows you to send skins to certain enemies using the collected materials used to make equipment.
- Tailoring – Give the ability to make fabric items like Armor and Bags.
There are also a number of secondary professions that you need to learn. How many of these professions you can learn is not limited, but they prove to be as useful as the primary professions. Here is a list of secondary professions and a brief description of each:
- Cooking – Allows you to cook food that restores health or provides enthusiasm.
- First aid kit – Allows you to create bandages that will heal you.
- Fishing – Lets hunt. Materials collected during fishing are usually used for cooking.
Which professions match well?
As you may have learned from some of the descriptions above, some professions seem to be well connected. For example, there is some synergy between alchemy and herbalism. You collect herbs using the herbal profession and almost every herb collected is used in some kind of mixture, which can only be made using alchemy.
Realistically, there is no rule as to which two professions you should choose. If you want to choose Engineering and Enchanting, you can do it completely. However, the actual level of these professions will cost you a lot of gold because you do not have the opportunity to collect materials.
As there are no rules for choosing a profession, here are some recommendations you should consider when choosing two professions to which you will devote your time:
- Herbalism and Alchemy – Most recipes for Alchemy require herbs collected from Azeroth and Outland.
- Mining and Blacksmithing, Engineeringor Jewelcrafting – Mining provides materials used to make items in each profession.
- Downloading and Leather processing – Much of the materials needed to process leather can be obtained from leather.
- Tailoring and Charming – Found substances can be turned into custom-made objects, which can then be disappointed.
What occupations should you choose?
Realistically, you can choose any two professions you want. World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Classic gives you the freedom to choose what you want to do. However, there are some classes and races that can benefit from choosing a particular type of occupation.
In World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Classic, there are actually professional bonuses for four of the races, two from each faction:
- Blood Elf – Arcane Affinity: Enchanting skill increased by 10
- Tauren – Cultivation: Herbal skills have been increased by 15 and herb picking has been faster than for regular herbalists.
- Gnome – Engineering specialization: Engineering skill increased by 15
- Draenei – Gemcutting: Jewelcrafting skill increased by 5
So if you play any of these races, you may want to invest time in one of these professions. After all, you want to get the most out of your toon. You will also want to combine this profession with something that benefits you the most. For example, if you have a Blood Elf priest and you decide to take advantage of a racial bonus and choose Enchanting, you will probably want to choose Tailoring.
Again, you don’t have to choose professions that “match well”, but it’s a good idea to do so. I will say that for almost any class / race combination, pairing alchemy and herbalism is incredibly beneficial for almost every class and is very easy to balance. You can also easily make money.
However, you may want to do something a little exciting. So here is a list of some recommended pairs of occupations for each class.
- Druid – Skinning / leather processing
- hunter – Mining / engineering, leather removal / leather processing
- Magician – Tailoring / Enchantment
- Paladin – Mining / blacksmithing, mining / engineering
- Priest – Tailoring / Enchantment
- Rascal – Mining / Engineering, Leather stripping / Leather processing, Mining / Jewelery
- Shaman – Mining / engineering, leather removal / leather processing
- Wizard – Tailoring / Enchantment
- Fighter – Mining / blacksmithing, mining / engineering
Of course, if you play with friends or in a guild, you should consult with them and find out what the team’s needs are. Sure, Warlocks will connect well with Tailoring, but maybe one of your friends already has Tailoring upgraded and can get you anything you need from the profession if you need to. You may choose Jewelcrafting and Mining instead, as this may be more useful to your team.
In any case, just choose what gives you an advantage in both PvE and PvP. You will need all the help you can get in both raids and arenas, and leveling the right professions can give you that advantage.